The U.S Department of Justice stated that they will continue to try and force Apple to reveal data contained in an iPhone involved in a drug case in New York. The statement comes as courts ponder on whether a 227 year old law gives law enforcement officials chance to force tech companies into helping in criminal cases.
The DoJ told the District Judge Margo K Bordie, in Brooklyn that it still wanted an order to make Apple cooperate with the government irrespective of the fact that they recently dropped a similar case in California because they had been able to circumvent the security system.
The FBI and Apple were previously engaged in another fight that was prevalent for the most part of January, February and March. The FBI initially got a court order which compelled Apple to work with the FBI on a terrorist case. They wanted to get backdoor access to a terrorist’s iPhone, Syed Farook, who shot and killed 14 people in San Bernardino, California last December. Apple refused to create a backdoor stating that it would set a dangerous precedent.
The government’s application is not moot and the government continues to require Apple’s assistance in accessing the data that it is authorized to search by warrant,” the Justice Department said in a one-paragraph letter to Brodie.
Apple however were disappointed with the news and said they were looking into ways they could stop the case. Apple’s lawyers posed the question of whether the FBI had tried the same technique that worked in the previous San Bernardino case.
Federal prosecutors recently told Brodie that it was impossible to use the centuries old All Writs Act as a way to force Apple to comply.
The government wrote that they had limited alternatives to obtaining Apple’s help and the Brooklyn case involved a phone with a different operating system as to that which was used in the San Bernardino case.
In a statement the spokeswoman for the department, Emily Pierce, said “In this case, we still need Apple’s help in accessing the data, which they have done with little effort in at least 70 other cases when presented with court orders for comparable phones running iOS 7 or earlier operating systems.”
Apple is due to file a response in the case on Thursday.